Friday, August 13, 2010

It's Only My Opinion



Last Monday night, Sydney’s Metro Theatre was home to one of London’s youngest folk artists, Laura Marling. With her hair scraped back into an effortless bun, Marling matched those of us in the crowd who had just ran and stood through rain and puddles, prior to the show.

I might be a part of this… ripple on water from a constant drip.

The crowd fell into an attentive silence, captivated by her alluring vocal style coupled with the propulsive mix of string instruments and sparring acoustic chords. Though each song was thematically and musically different, each seemed to evoke the same sense of intimacy within. For me, Marling’s poetic lyricism of earlier works revealed a childhood elegy of the most nostalgic type, while songs from I Speak Because I Can guided me through a consideration of many future politics of self. These “old soul” style tracks induced thoughts on more mature topics; of success and failure, of self-direction and self-destruction and of love lost, but also love found. And although incredibly melancholy, each song was delivered with a level of charm, allowing for just the right amount of austere humour and light. Several songs later, and a modest un-encore… I left sharing more than just my year of birth with Marling.

Empowering & Inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...